For Faculty & Advisors /
People and Committees
The UCORE curriculum is administered by the Office of the Provost (Mary Wack, Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement) in collaboration with the UCORE Director (Clif Stratton), and the UCORE faculty committee.
Questions may be directed to Anne Peasley.
The UCORE Committee is a faculty committee that approves courses and assesses the effectiveness of the UCORE curriculum.
|Faculty||Department or School||College or Unit||Campus||Term||Sub-Committee Assignments|
|Stratton, Clif (F)|
(Director, Cmte Chair)
|History||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-24||DIVR, CAPS|
|Carloye, Lisa (F)||School of Biological Sciences||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||BSCI, PSCI, CAPS|
|Crawford, Tammy (F)||Sport Management||College of Education||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2020-23||DIVR, CAPS|
|Fiedler, Kevin (F)||Mathematics||College of Arts & Sciences||Tri-Citiesemail@example.com||2018-21||BSCI, PSCI, CAPS|
|Gizerian, Samantha (F)||Neuroscience||College of Veterinary Medicine||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||BSCI, PSCI, CAPS|
|Gruen, Phil (F)||Design & Construction||Voiland College of Engineering & Architecture||Pullmanemail@example.com||2018-21||ARTS, WRTG, COMM, CAPS|
|Hewa, Joe (F)||Human Development||CAHNRS||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2020-23||SSCI, QUAN, CAPS|
|Hewlett, Bonnie (F)||Anthropology||College of Arts & Sciences||Vancouveremail@example.com||2019-22||ARTS, WRTG, COMM, CAPS|
|Irom, Bimbisar (F)||Communication & Society||Murrow College of Communication||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2018-21||SSCI, QUAN, CAPS|
|Johnson, Corey (F)||WSU Libraries||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||HUM, CAPS
|Kuhn, Kristine (F)||Management, Information Systems, and Entrepreneurship||Carson College of Business||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||SSCI, QUAN, CAPS|
|Leonard, David (F)||School of Languages, Cultures, and Race||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2018-21||DIVR, CAPS|
|Luethi, Dean (F)||School of Music||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||ARTS, WRTG, COMM, CAPS|
|McCoy, Rob (F)||History||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||DIVR, CAPS|
|Staggers, Julie (F)||English||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||HUM, CAPS|
|Wack, Mary (X) (#)||Office of the Provostemail@example.com||N/A|
|ASWSU rep TBD (X)||ASWSU||Pullman||2020-21||CAPS|
|Green, Kimberly (X)||Office of Assessment of Teaching & Learning||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||CAPS|
|Johnson-Shull, Lisa (X)||Writing Program||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||ARTS, WRTG, COMM, CAPS|
|King, Terese (X)||Academic Success & Career Center||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||HUM, CAPS|
|Weathermon, Karen (X)||First-Year Experience||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||HUM, CAPS|
|Zimmerman, Matt (X)||Office of the Registrarfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||HUM, CAPS|
|Peasley, Anne||Office of Assessment of Teaching and Learning||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||UCORE Committee Support|
The UCORE Committee reports to the Provost or to the Provost’s designee.
UCORE Committee Functions
- Formulates policy recommendations concerning general education for submission to the Faculty Senate.
- Determines general criteria and procedures for soliciting and approving proposals for UCORE courses and for periodically renewing such courses.
- Reviews recommendations from subcommittees (i.e. Assessment, Diversity) for action.
- Regularly monitors all elements of the program through assessment, periodic course renewals, and other means as needed.
- Regularly reviews results of assessment of student learning on WSU’s learning goals of the baccalaureate; monitors and recognizes achievement; and suggests uses of assessment results to inform or influence decisions intended to enhance undergraduate student learning achievement.
- Reports periodically to the Provost and university community on undergraduate student learning assessment results and the effectiveness of the UCORE curriculum.
- Periodically reviews and updates the UCORE handbook.
- Administers the Richard Law Award for Outstanding Teaching in UCORE courses.
UCORE Committee Membership
- One faculty member from each undergraduate degree-granting College, each instructional campus, plus the Libraries shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement in consultation with the deans of colleges or their designees; all for three-year terms (F).
- Additional faculty may be selected for their knowledge of each major area of the curricular requirements, and shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement in consultation with the deans of colleges or their designees; for three-year terms (F).
- Liaison to the Roots of Contemporary Issues program (F).
- Two undergraduate students nominated by ASWSU, one from Pullman and one from another instructional campus, for two-year terms (U).
- WSU Registrar or designee (X).
- Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement or designee, who will serve as secretary (X)(#).
- Coordinators of key functions related to general education, as appropriate (e.g., Writing Program, Learning Communities, Advising) (X).
- An advising representative appointed after consultation with the UAAEC from any WSU campus, two-year term (X).
- Director of the Office of the Assessment of Teaching and Learning (X).
Key: (F) Faculty; (U) Undergraduate; (X) Ex officio (i.e., because of position held); (#) Non-voting. (F), (X) and (U) are voting positions, unless otherwise stipulated. Ex officio members may not hold the position of chair.
UCORE Committee Leadership
- The chair shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement in consultation with the committee members; the term of chair shall be at least two years.
- The committee may determine that a vice chair is needed for specific initiatives or periodic surges in committee work (e.g., course reviews). The vice-chair shall be elected for a two-year term. If there is a vice chair, he or she should ideally serve in a staggered term with the chair.