People and Committees
The UCORE curriculum is administered by the Office of the Provost (Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement) in collaboration with the UCORE Director, and the UCORE faculty committee.
Questions may be directed to ucore.wsu.edu.
The UCORE Committee is a faculty committee that approves courses and assesses the effectiveness of the UCORE curriculum.
- Formulates policy recommendations concerning general education for submission to the Faculty Senate.
- Determines general criteria and procedures for soliciting and approving proposals for UCORE courses and for periodically renewing such courses.
- Reviews recommendations from subcommittees or working groups for action.
- Regularly monitors all elements of the program through assessment, periodic course renewals, and other means as needed.
- Regularly reviews results of assessment of student learning on WSU’s learning goals of the baccalaureate; monitors and recognizes achievement; and suggests uses of assessment results to inform or influence decisions intended to enhance undergraduate student learning achievement.
- Reports periodically to the Provost and university community on undergraduate student learning assessment results and the effectiveness of the UCORE curriculum.
- Periodically reviews and updates UCORE requirements and policies, as available on this website.
- Administers the Richard Law Award for Outstanding Teaching in UCORE courses.
Composition and Tenure
- One faculty member from each undergraduate degree-granting College, each instructional campus, plus the Libraries shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement in consultation with the deans of colleges or their designees; all for three-year terms (F).
- Additional faculty may be selected for their knowledge of each major area of the curricular requirements, and shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education in consultation with the deans of colleges or their designees; for three-year terms (F).
- Liaison to the Roots of Contemporary Issues program (F).
- Two undergraduate students nominated by ASWSU, one from Pullman and one from another instructional campus, for two-year terms (U).
- WSU Registrar or designee (X).
- Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement or designee (X)(#).
- Directors of key units related to general education, as appropriate (e.g., Writing Program, Learning Communities, Advising, Registrar) (X).
- An advising representative appointed after consultation with the UAAEC from any WSU campus, two-year term (X).
- Director of the Office of Assessment for Curricular Effectiveness (X).
- UCORE Administrative Assistant, who will serve as committee Secretary (X)(#).
Key: (F) Faculty; (U) Undergraduate; (X) Ex officio (i.e., because of position held); (#) Non-voting. (F), (X) and (U) are voting positions, unless otherwise stipulated. Ex officio members may not hold the position of chair.
- The chair shall be appointed by the Vice Provost for Academic Engagement and Student Achievement in consultation with the committee members; the term of chair shall be at least two years.
- The committee may determine that a vice chair is needed for specific initiatives or periodic surges in committee work (e.g., course reviews). The vice-chair shall be elected for a two-year term. If there is a vice chair, they should ideally serve in a staggered term with the chair.
|Faculty||Department or School||College or Unit||Campus||Term||Review Team Assignments|
|Stratton, Clif (F)|
(Director, Cmte Chair)
|History||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-24||CAPS|
|Boden, Ruth (F)||School of Music||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||ARTS, COMM, WRTG|
|Carloye, Lisa (F)||School of Biological Sciences||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||BSCI, PSCI|
|Crawford, Tammy (F)||Sport Management||College of Education||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2020-23||Ad Hoc DIVR/EQJS team|
|Fiedler, Kevin (F)||Mathematics||College of Arts & Sciences||Tri-Citiesemail@example.com||2021-24||SSCI, QUAN|
|Gizerian, Samantha (F)||Neuroscience||College of Veterinary Medicine||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||BSCI, PSCI|
|Hewa, Joe (F)||Human Development||CAHNRS||Pullmanemail@example.com||2020-23||SSCI, QUAN|
|Irom, Bimbisar (F)||Communication & Society||Murrow College of Communication||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2021-24||ARTS, COMM, WRTG|
|Johnson, Corey (F)||WSU Libraries||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||HUM
|Kuhn, Kristine (F)||Management, Information Systems, and Entrepreneurship||Carson College of Business||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||SSCI, QUAN|
|McCoy, Rob (F)||History||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanemail@example.com||2019-22||CAPS|
|Reilly-Gurocak, Liz (F)||Economic Sciences||CAHNRS||Vancouverfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||SSCI, QUAN|
|Saunders, Steve (F)||Chemical Engineering||Voiland College of Engineering and Architecture||Pullmanemail@example.com||2021-24||BSCI, PSCI|
|Staggers, Julie (F)||English||College of Arts & Sciences||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2019-22||HUM|
|Davis, Bill (F, X) (#)||Office of the Provost||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievement||Pullmanemail@example.com||N/A|
|Kisor, Ella (X)||ASWSU||Pullmanfirstname.lastname@example.org||2021-22||ARTS, COMM, WRTG|
|Green, Kimberly (X)||Office of Assessment for Curricular Effectiveness||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||CAPS|
|Johnson-Shull, Lisa (X)||Writing Program||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||ARTS, WRTG, COMM|
|King, Terese (F, X)||Academic Success & Career Center||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||HUM|
|Rost, Zach (X, #)||UCORE Administrative Assistant||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||N/A|
|Weathermon, Karen (F, X)||First-Year Experience||Division of Academic Engagement and Student Achievementemail@example.com||N/A||HUM|
|Zimmerman, Matt (X)||Office of the Registrarfirstname.lastname@example.org||N/A||CAPS|
The UCORE Committee reports to the Provost or to the Provost’s designee.
Subcommittee for Assessment
The UCORE Assessment Subcommittee is intended to help faculty, departments, and university leadership determine to what extent undergraduates are achieving WSU’s Seven Learning Goals. Faculty participate on UCORE’s subcommittee for assessment and also contribute to assessment of key programs and courses. Assessment is a collaborative process that includes faculty, students, staff, administrators, and others. The Office of Assessment for Curricular Effectiveness (ACE) assists with UCORE assessment, by supporting or managing specific assessment initiatives, analyzing and reporting results, and maintaining the website and archives.
See the UCORE Assessment website for the current membership of the subcommittee, and UCORE’s assessment (built on the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment’s transparency framework)—as well as specific assessment initiatives, results and uses.